Fresh Dental Care
General and Cosmetic Dentistry located in Houston, TX
Braces can help both children and adults fix their misaligned teeth and improve the look of their smile. The highly skilled team at Fresh Dental Care, with three locations in the Houston area, offers a variety of options for correcting your smile, including Invisalign® braces. For a consultation about how braces can improve your dental health, call Fresh Dental Care or schedule an appointment online.
Braces Q & A
What are braces?
Braces are dental devices that are placed by an orthodontist. They’re used to correct misaligned teeth — when the top and bottom sets of teeth do not line up well. When teeth are not properly aligned, it can cause problems with eating, biting, and chewing and can lead to poor oral health and jaw damage.
Braces work by using constant pressure over an extended amount of time to slowly shift teeth into proper position, correctly lining up the top and bottom sets of teeth over time.
Braces are used to correct bite problems, such as:
- Overbite: when the top teeth are shifted too far forward
- Underbite: when the bottom teeth are shifted too far forward
- Crossbite: when the bottom teeth are shifted to the side of the top teeth
- Open bite: when top teeth to not properly overlap the bottom teeth
- Crooked teeth: when one or more teeth are out of place
Braces can also correct spacing problems, such as too little space with overcrowding, or too much space between teeth.
What causes misalignment problems?
Misaligned teeth may be part of your genetic makeup or may have been caused by factors that occurred while your teeth were still growing and getting into position.
Causes for teeth misalignment include:
- Poor nutrition
- Poor oral care
- Prolonged use of a pacifier
- Sucking finger or thumb
- Adult tooth loss or injury
- Breathing through the mouth
Braces can help both children and adults to fix their alignment problems and improve their smile. Not all alignment problems need correcting, but your dentist may suggest braces if your misalignment is causing pain, damage to your teeth or jaw, or is a source of embarrassment for you.
What are the benefits of having braces?
Aside from looking better, properly aligned teeth help your mouth and teeth be more healthy in general.
Benefits of having braces include:
- Less tooth decay
- Less risk for getting gum disease
- Less risk of tooth damage
- Improved oral care
- Equal wear on teeth
- Better digestion and fewer digestion problems
Braces are most effective when used on children whose jaw bones and teeth are still growing. However, adults can benefit in the same ways from having braces placed later in life.
What are some types of braces?
Your orthodontist suggests and places the device that’s right for you, which may include:
- Fixed braces: use hardware that’s cemented onto each tooth and a wire that’s adjusted periodically
- Removable devices: use various devices that can be removed for short periods of time, including retainers or headgear
- Lingual braces: applied under the tongue to fix lower teeth
- Invisalign®: uses a series of clear, custom-fitted, removable devices that shift the position of the teeth
The amount of time you may need to wear braces is dependent on the type and severity of misalignment you may have.
For a consultation about braces for you or your child, call or schedule an appointment online with Fresh Dental Care.
Fresh Dental is located in Houston, TX, and serves the greater Cypress, Katy, Humble, and Porter areas.